Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Killing Chickens

We recently killed off the meat birds we have been raising this spring and as I stood over one that I roasted the other day and picked its bones, I contemplated my relationship with it.  I had seem that chicken from tiny chick to meat on my table.  Not an experience most people have today.  I felt good about it.  My husband, who did the killing, felt a little more ambivalent.  I might have too if I had had to go out and kill it first.  Maybe next time I should make myself do this part too.


I was a vegetarian for quite a few years until I discovered local meat, well raised.  Them I could justify eating it.  We are now taking that one step further and going truly local with our chicken.  Our back yard.  It makes one appreciate that chicken is not all boneless skinless breasts and that it takes some work to kill and clean and cook a chicken.  I more and more like that feeling.  Thank you chicken!

No comments:

Post a Comment